Tuesday, August 13, 2013

One month away.

Ok ya'll please tell me I'm not the only one that turned my head and 11 months flashed on by before I even had the chance to blink.

11 MONTHS.

I'm speechless. I'm awestruck. I'm in shock. And I'm bearing just a tinge of denial.

My baby, my baby....


He is adventurous. Tough. Strong-willed. Sweet.. And oh-so cuddly sweet.


He is his own little being. You don't mess with him, don't tease him, and whatever you do...DO NOT take keys away from him. Ever.

Peek-a-boos are welcomed, dancing is a given, food is always priority. And me being available to nurse on and off for as long as he pleases is expected.


If asked if he can say "yes" he shakes his head "no". And then follows that up with a wave, and a dance...he likes to do his tricks in an orderly sequence.

He gives "kisses" by slowly lowering his head into yours. And this is the first thing he does to Cole as soon as he awakens in the morning, noon or night. It doesn't matter. As soon I ask if he wants to go get brother he squeals. Then the two of them crawl up to one another and lower their head in sweet adoration. They stay with their head pressed against each other for a few seconds....never long enough for me to run and grab my camera to catch the sweetness. But long enough for them to accept the love and for my heart to melt. 

The sweet moment is usually ended by Bennett trying to rip Cole's eyes out......


He prefers to sit in rocks instead of grass. He likes to stand and push things to walk. And he will not give up easily.

This persistence was demonstrated the other day while the two of us were playing outside during big brother's nap. He wanted Cole's firetruck sit n' scoot toy really bad. So I brought it over to him. He moved it one way, squawked. Turned it another way, shook both hand in exasperation and squawked even louder. He then flipped it upside down, right side up, to the left, to the right, on its side...hollering with each failed attempt. Finally he got it placed just where he wanted it, grabbed on to the back and the handles and started pushing it sideways, smiling at me as if he had been the happiest of campers all along. He was so proud. And looked like such a big boy shoving that firetruck sideways as if that was its one true purpose. In his mind it was a means to walk, and he was headstrong on making sure it produced his expectations.

Goodness, I love that about him! While frustrating and testing at times, I'm always grateful that he knows exactly what he wants and will stop at nothing to get it. Some day that will get him far.


This last month he has taken and (we) survived two road trips, one to Seattle and one to the beach. The beach was a whole lot more successful in the car ride department.

He loved the beach, and the sand.


Apparently it's a true delicacy.


I gave up trying to keep it out of his mouth after the umpteenth time.


He didn't seem to mind, and that sand beard looked pretty good on him anyways.


Watching them play together always gets me excited for when they can talk and imagine together. Already they love to play tag, hide n' seek, build forts, play trains, color, and eat cheerios together. Bennett is now the one dog-piling, and I usually have to peel him off of his big brother who has been flattened on his back. He is little, but mighty.


Speaking if him being so little really baffles me. This kid can eat! Seriously, he packs it away. And he wants everything I am eating. I can't really think of anything he hasn't liked. His new favorite food is beans. I still stay away from rice and apple anything as he tends to get constipated easily.

He now likes to drink out of a sippy cup...mainly because he wants brother's all the time, so I fill him one up with water and that usually solves the dilemma.

He has discovered the joy of dropping things over the side of his highchair. Hearing a little cheerio crunch beneath the foot is pretty much the norm these days. I really should consider keeping the broom attached to my hip, or get a dog (hint, hint Kyle).


He has had a growing attachment to his daddy. It's pretty precious. As soon as he sees his daddy he reaches his chubby little hands out to him. If I try to take him back he flattens his body next to Kyle and nuzzles in tightly. And for some reason on the weekends when we are both home he seems to be more confident to go play and explore by himself, when it's just me he likes to be held and have me within his sight at all times.I think someone is having daddy separation anxiety.

He has been waking up between 5 and 6.....no, I'm not going to complain about this....at least he is sleeping through the night! But it does make for a tired mama.

Although one of my all time favorite moments in the day is when I get him in the morning, bring him into bed with me to feed him. We lay there in the darkness, him eating contently, me breathing in his baby smell, and my nose being tickled by his sweet curls. I love having him snuggled up by my side, it's like a little piece of heaven, even at 5 in the morning.

I'm gonna miss that, so I'm soaking it in while I can.

I love this boy. So, so much. And in less than a month he is going to be 1. Really, it doesn't seem possible.

I'm still speechless, and in shock, a little blurry eyed, but so excited that we thrived and survived such an amazing year. He is my Bennett, and I will forever be in love.

Always. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment