Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Wild and Free Five and Three


"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid....for the Lord your God goes with you, He will never leave you or forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

Be Brave. Be bold. Seek Adventure. Be little boys, be wild and free.


That about sums up the theme for my older boy's birthday party. I'm not sure how much longer they are going to be pumped to do combined parties. But since they both agreed, and Cole was eager to get his party started early (surprise, surprise...Mr. cupcake, sprinkles, party hats and celebrate, celebrate, celebrate...and celebrate some more...even months after.....)

I really wanted to focus on the root of raising little boys. And create a party where we could really rally behind God's promises, and send us all off into another year of seeking guidance through this great adventure.

Raising boys is truly wonderful. But it's also incredibly terrifying at times. So this party was just as much of a reminder to myself to embrace them, accept the crazy, and trust that God would protect them when I cannot.


A friend from college was so sweet to send me some decorations that she made for a baby shower. I actually teared up when I opened the generous package full of all kinds of beautiful goodies. If you have a moment, you totally need to check out her shop. She makes GORGEOUS fabric banners and pillow cases. And is so talented when it comes to decorating not only her house but parties. Check her out out HERE at The Olive Grove. Her banner and arrows became my inspiration, she gave ma a good starting point and she saved me from having to be super crafty...which I'm really not a fan of. So thanks Sarah!




I did however, pick up a hot glue gun, some feathers, and a wee bit of paint to make my own little feather garland for the dessert table and mantel. As well as paint some wooden arrows that will make their way into the nursery for Davis. And that was about as much "crafting" I could handle.




We served desserts that had an outdoorsy/messy boy theme. Such as peanut butter "s'more" pops, "muddy buddies" popcorn, chocolate-caramel covered pretzel "sticks", and boston cream cupcakes that ended up looking like they were covered in mud...or piles of something else due to a malfunction with my frosting tip. I didn't freak out like I normally do, but managed to just laugh and serve them anyway.






We had a coloring station, since both boys...especially Cole LOVE to color. I found some really great printables HERE at the Lost Bumblebee. I also found the "Oh Darling, let's be adventurers" and the "Be Brave" prints, that I hope to also include in baby brother's nursery. Because they really are just too cute and powerful reminders for any growing boy (as well as their mothers).


Cole and his cousin took their coloring very seriously.







While Bennett, on the otherhand.....slapped some color on his and called it good! Always fast and furious and straight forward in his ways with life.



And so fitting that he chose the "adventure" coloring sheet. Because adventure should be his middle name, either that or "give mama a heart attack", but adventure has a better ring to it. :)

We (I mean, Kyle) hauled the teepee that was given to them by their grandparents last year for Christmas, into the living room to house the gifts... and cute little boys with their cousins.




And then there was that moment when we tried to get pictures of both birthday boys in front of said teepee.....


Cole's smile couldn't look more fake and Bennett's went from this to....this....


At least he was kind enough to put his arm around his big brother. And at least I remembered to ask someone to take a family picture of us all...unlike last year.



Both boys enjoyed opening everyone's very generous gifts.




And of course, the lighting of candles, singing happy birthday (what Cole lives for) was on the agenda, and was enjoyed almost as much as the eating of the cakes.








I was super impressed with how quickly both boys demolished and polished off their cupcakes. It was record speed. 

And then just like that the party was done.

And I'm left all sentimental as I take a long look at my boys and notice how much they have stretched out, matured, and are one step closer to becoming little men. Soon, so very soon, wiping their crumb laden mugs and helping them put on their shoes will be a thing of the past. I won't have little boys giggling and rolling around, shrieking and hitting, and laughing at the most ridiculous and completely-makes-no-sense-jokes. They will embark on bigger adventures, scarier even. They will learn how to be brave and courageous in the midst of adversity. And I will have to learn my new role as their mom and what that looks like. And sometimes that makes me really sad. Ok, very very sad. I know these years are tough, I know some days are soooooo long. But they are sweet and precious and short compared to the rest of their life.

So, to my two big boys. Go, show your brave selves to the world. I hope and pray every day for what your future will look like. And i pray that even when it doesn't come as you had imagined or even wanted that you will remember the words from above. That God will "never forsake you" and that He will be with you and help you , even when being courageous seems like that last thing you wan to be. He will help you. He has two difference adventures designed for two very precious little boys. 

Embrace them. All of it. And never stop dreaming the big dream. Never give up. Never stop seeking the God you will carry you through them all. He is your biggest adventure the one that won't let you down. Love Him. Love others. Love yourself. And never forget, that your dad and I will always love you. 

Happy (early) Birthday my little warriors. You both make the world a better place.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect title...Wild and Free, Five and Three. An amazing birthday celebration!!!!! XO

    ReplyDelete