Sunday, May 29, 2011

Holy Guacamole I Love the Holidays

Happy Holiday weekend!!! Even though I'm no longer working I still get excited for Holiday weekends because I love having the extra day to spend with my husband and baby.  One of the first things I remember about my husband early on in our dating relationship was the fact that I never tired of hanging out with him. I know, I know, that is usually pretty typical early on in any relationship, but this was something different. It was one of those "I just know he will be my best friend forever" type of feeling. And he is, without a doubt, my absolute best friend--my love.  So yes, I look forward to our long weekends together regardless of big plans or no plans just as long as it involves the two cutest blue-eyed boys and perhaps a dutch bros. or two.....and of course good food.

You can't have a Memorial Day without some kind of chip and dip....and when I think dip I think guacamole.  I am a sucker for all things avocado, especially when in the form of a creamy and dreamy, spicy yet sweet, chunky and chewy guac of all guacs.....I give you none other than my all-time fave....Charred Corn Guacamole!  This has been a tried and true hit, it's pure delightful, it screams summer and it always...ALWAYS screams my name. I mean, just look at that chip filled with that glorified goodness.  


I want to eat my screen right now, but I won't...what I will do is share the recipe so you can go get your dip n' chip on.  

Charred Corn Guacamole
From Bobby Flay

Ingredients:
  • 1/2-3/4 c frozen corn
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
  • 1/2-1(depending on how much you like) red onion finely diced
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:

In hot pan add oil and frozen corn, saute until charred, set aside to cool.  (you can also grill corn on the cob and add that if you have the time)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve with chips.

Now I don't know about you, but I could eat guacamole any day of the week for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  But I do find it quite pleases my palate to pair it with a good taco.  This next recipe does the trick for the taco pairing. It was originally intended for a slow-cooker pork taco found here at  Tasty Kitchen, but I changed things around to make a quick stove top chicken verde taco. Because honestly, I don't know that I would have the patience to smell this all day long waiting for it to finish cooking in a slow cooker. I might dig in too early and that would be bad. So here is my shortened version.
Photo from: Tasty Kitchen
 
Chicken Verde Tacos:

Ingredients:

2 lbs poached and shredded chicken breast
1 jar (16 oz or more) salsa verde
3 Tbls lime juice
1 whole onion
1 c chopped cilantro
1 c halved or quartered cherry tomatoes
corn tortillas
sour cream (optional)
olives (optional)
mozzarella cheese (optional) 
charred corn guacamole (optional....but highly recommended!)

Directions:
Mix  together salsa and lime juice. Heat large pan over medium/high heat. Add 1/2 onion and saute until onion becomes tender. Add in salsa mixture and shredded chicken, cook until heated through. Add 1/4 c tomatoes and 1/2 c cilantro and cook for about 5 more minutes.  in separate bowl mix remaining 1/2 onion, 1/2 c cilantro,3/4 c tomatoes, this creates a simple fresh salsa that can top of your taco....or you can omit this step altogether.  I like the combo of the hot chicken with the crunch of the fresh onion and sweet tomatoes. Next warm up your corn tortillas, pile on all the toppings to your liking, and take a big bite.

I have been known to add so many topping to my tacos that they burst when attempting to make it in my mouth...but that's ok, the messier the better. Besides, that's what forks are for! This chicken also makes a great chicken taco salad the next day.  Just throw on top of a heap of shredded romaine lettuce and doctor it up with refried beans, olives, cheese, guacamole and devour.  Perfect for a holiday weekend.  Enjoy my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment