Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Davis: 5 Months

One of my best friend's just had her second baby boy. Looking at her pictures and listening to her talk about her new little bundle takes me back. It takes me back to those first moments, when you stare at each other and wonder what life was before they entered your world. When your already full heart puffs up even more. It is so full of joy it feels like it may burst if you take one more look at the precious bundle in your arms. And then you do....your breath is taken away by one more teeny-tiny feature that makes them so unique and so completely yours. And you die all over again. Then you wonder how anything about this little human can get any better than it is in that moment.

And then they smile at you.

Give you their first coo.

Roll over for the first time.

Pick up their first toy.

Giggle.

Squeal with delight.

Take their first step.

And do so many more unbelievable things in such short amounts of time, and you keep telling yourself "this, is the best....No, no, wait.... THIS is the best".

And then you blink and they turn 5 months old. Your brain is still trying it's darndest to catch up to your heart. And you still can't seem to keep any of your kids birthdays straight (the poor doctor's office trying to figure out if I am actually a legit mom, because I can't seem to remember the most monumental days of my life!)

I'm starting to feel like a broken record.

This baby (practically grown kid) is such a tender little soul. He just looks at you and you melt into a million little pieces. And I am so so in love with him, my heart physically hurts sometimes.

The way he is growing, blows my mind.


Every day you can see the wheels turning as he grasps more and more of the world around him. He is starting to reach for toys, his favorite is to play with the crinkly wipes package.

He also discovered his fingers and his toes. I love watching him move his hand in, then out, as he watches it intently. 

If I need to get something done, like make dinner. He is usually very content to hang out under his play mat or his latest fave, the jumperoo.


He's still not the most stellar sleeper. Prefers to sleep on his side. But typically goes 2-3 hour stretches. except for last night, he was nearly impossible to get to sleep.

And what is it with our boys and their need to start the day at the break of dawn? They always say put them down earlier and they will sleep later. Or put them down later and they will wake up earlier. I swear our kids have programmed alarm systems and no matter what time they go to sleep they will be up at the same time, every morning. We could wear every ounce of energy out of them and they would be set to go the second their internal alarms go off at 5 in the morning. (ok, fine the older boys are 6 but Davis seems to have made 5 the new 8....)

This past month he learned to roll from his back to his tummy. And while that is a great achievement, it has proven to be not so great at night or during his naps. The second you lay him down, he flexes his little tummy muscles and flips himself over. And then, low and behold he's furious about it.  All attempts at sleep are gone.


His thumb seems to be an on again, off again kind of relationship. When he gets really upset it's as if he forgets it exists. But then I find him randomly sucking it throughout the day.

This kid has such an innate desire to suck something all the time. Whether it be my arm, shoulder, ear, finger, nose, lips....basically if anything gets within close proximity to his mouth it's fair game.

He is a phenomenal nurser, kind of like Cole. He gets to eating and there is no stopping. His cheeks get all concave and his rolls keep upping their game. I believe his ankles gained one new roll this month.

He likes to break away while nursing, look at me and give me sweet, closed-mouth grin. As if he's saying, "thanks mom, it's really good."

He's also taken to biting......ouch!


And those legs and knees, never have dimples looked so adorable as they do on his.



I just love all the rolls. I don't have an official weight for him this month. But I did attempt to try and weigh him at home, and he came in around 16 1/2-17lbs. Soooo...about what Bennett weighed at a year ;)


He's still wearing a solid 3-6 month clothes, with some starting to get too short on him. And I'm secretly mourning that next month he is going to be 1/2 a year old and starting solids, what?

He loves bath time still. And just learned all about kicking and splashing. If I start to hold him above water, he starts kicking and stomping his legs in anticipation. 

He is starting to be able to sit by himself some. He still needs his arms on the floor to help balance, but can sit for good chunks of time.


He also loves that this gives him better opportunities to be involved in whatever the big bros are doing.

He's still super easy and goes with the flow. My sister and I have a running joke, whenever he starts to kind of fuss, we always say, "Whoa, whoa....this is a big one...." Because they never are. His fussiness is always calmed quickly. And realistically shouldn't even be referred to as "fussy".


He is starting to not appreciate being worn any more. But I still try, and I still do. Because when it comes right down to it, it's easier than lugging his infant seat out of the car, and I really need to have two hands free while out and about with all my boys.


But I'm pretty sure he will never complain to be held like the above. He was "helping" daddy do some vacuuming.


I just can't get over the fact that he has been in our lives for nearly half a year. I knew time was going to go fast, but this....

Before I know it he is going to be crawling and on the go, go, go.


He's going to start eating real food. He's going to start digging in the middle of whatever his brothers are doing. Knocking their blocks down, grabbing their markers. He will probably become fascinated with trains, just like his brothers.

But above it all, I'm pretty sure he will always remain my sweet little heart.


My baby boy, I love you in all your rolly polly glory. You have such a kindness about you, and always seem to know when mama needs some extra cuddles. Though you are growing like a weed, you will always be my baby. I adore how any time I am holding you in my arms and we walk past a mirror, you grin. You are always giving me cheeky little grins, with slobber down your chin and bubbles on your lips. You observe, and watch, and take everything in around you. Especially your brothers, they fascinate you.

Sometimes I ache to go back to those first days in all their wonder and glory. But then I look to the future and i get so excited to see who you will be and what you will become. You are destined for greatness, and I have no doubt God will use you in massive ways. Especially with your ability to bring out the softness in people.

I hope you give me many more years of kissing your scrumptious cheeks, of holding you next to my heart, of watching you as you explore the great big world in front of you.

But please, please always stay my baby. Even when you are old and gray and I can't walk. Promise me you will always let me kiss those cheeks, forever.









No comments:

Post a Comment