Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fall Has Fallen Upon Us

Well, it's beginning to feel a lot like home around here these days.  The clouds have rolled in, the blue skies have turned to gray, and there are rain drops falling on the ground. Yep, feels almost like the Portland weather we thought we left behind.  Cole has been standing at the window watching the rain fall and pointing with his whole hand at the droplets in the puddles.  It's pretty adorable watching him grasp the world around him.
And then I get looks like this that make even the gloomiest of days seem to fade....
Yes, this little punkin face has brought me more joy than he will probably ever know. He has always been mama's little sidekick, but for some reason even more so than usual.  Lately he has to be right by my side whether I am folding laundry, doing the dishes, or trying to cook.  Sometimes it makes getting that task at hand hard to get done.....but then I look at the pile of laundry and those big blue eyes.....the eyes always win.  I figure there will always be another load of laundry to be done, something that can be picked up and cleaned....but there will only be one chance at soaking up every moment with my little man.  So that is what I choose, and without an ounce without regret. 

Because of this current case of wanting to be attached to mama's side, I have been a big fan of quick and easy meals that taste great.  So in honor of the Portlandish weather, I decided to whip up one of my favorite soups.  It's a breeze to throw together and it packs a punch that will warm you up from the inside out.  This is often a requested soup from the hubby, and never fails to get raves and compliments.  Whenever Kyle mentions how good something is more than 3x's during one meal I always add it to my "hits" list and make a note to add it to my mental recipe file.

We had this for dinner last night and then both had leftovers for lunch today.  I was so hungry by lunchtime that I scarfed it down a little too fast and I needed to sit down to allow myself a little recoup time.  The best part about the soup is the versatility and the ability to adjust the spiciness according to your liking. So here is the soup that cured the rainy day blues.

Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
Source: Savory Sweet Life
Photo: Savory Sweet Life
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 onion,  chopped finely
1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
1/2 cup mushrooms
1 cup cooked chicken meat, chopped
1 cup cooked rice
2 tablespoons red curry paste (if you like it less spicy, just use 1 tablespoon)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
13.5 oz can Asian coconut milk or cream (I use Trader Joe's light coconut milk and it tastes great)
21 oz chicken broth (If you want a thicker and creamier soup don't add the full amount in)
1- 2 tablespoons fish sauce and a few sprigs of cilantro

Directions:
In a medium  sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat and cook chopped onions, carrots, red bell pepper, and mushrooms for approximately 5 minutes.  Add curry paste, brown sugar, chicken, rice, and fish sauce stirring and sauteing everything until curry paste is completely incorporated (approx. 2-3 minutes).  Pour chicken broth and coconut milk into the pan and give it a good stir for a half minute.  Reduce heat to medium and allow the soup to cook for 15-20 minutes.

See, easy peasy. Plus this is a good soup to make if you have left over chicken or rice. Mmmm...I kind of wish I had more leftovers, I would heat me up a bowl right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment