Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The time has come....

Last night Cole and I decided to say good-bye to his nighttime feeding. For 14 1/2 months those quiet moments were so special, they helped me carve out time to just sit and revel in the sweet little being God created just for us.  Some of the sweetest and earliest memories of my baby were of him so enthusiastically nursing like there was no tomorrow. Yes, there were moments I felt like a human pacifier and that was all I was good for. But then all I had to do was look down at that doll-like face and those sweet pursed lips and being a "human pacifier" was just what I wanted to be.

While I am sad that we aren't going to have "our moments" together any longer, I do look forward to finding other special ways to bond with my boy. This is just the next step into toddlerhood and onto the new phase of God's plan.  One that I will embrace with open arms...good thing, because my little boy isn't going to stay so little much longer....

Soon I will be embracing a little munchkin running laps around my kitchen.

And I'm ok with it.




He has finally acted somewhat interested in walking! I thought for sure I would have a 3 year old that used crawling as his mode of transportation. But low and behold he is gaining interest and gaining courage. Just this past week he started to stand up, stick both arms straight in the air, puff out his chest...and then either body slam into mama or take several steps. He does this on repeat. He also prefers to hold onto only one of my hands while walking, he will sometimes shove away my other hand as if to say, "pah-lease mom, I do not need your help." Yet, he hasn't decided he wants to ditch my other hand just quite yet. Hey, we all need a little safety net.

My safety net happens to come in the form of a pot that plugs into the wall.

Because of the pace of life lately and mama not having a lot of energy I have found the crock pot has been once again, a lifesaver.  This is often a favorite meal around our household. It is a cinch to throw in the crock pot and makes enough for leftover lunches. You can also serve it wrapped in a tortilla, or over a bed of lettuce for a taco salad twist. I love that I can have dinner prepared while the little mister naps, and then that way I have more time to help him practice his mad walking skills when he awakes. Awe, the best of both worlds.

Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken:
(Source: Iowa Girl Eats)


Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
  • 8 oz frozen corn
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
  • Salt, to taste
  • 2 large chicken breasts, thawed
Instructions
  • Combine all ingredients from chicken broth to salt in a crock pot. Salt chicken breasts, lay on top of mixture and cook on low for 7 hours.
  • Remove chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to crock pot, stir to combine, taste and adjust seasonings.
  • Serve over cooked rice. Top with more green onions, sour cream, cheese, olives, guacamole, fresh cilantro, and chips for scooping.

No comments:

Post a Comment