Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dear little baby

You turned 5 months on Saturday. You are one month away from the big half-year mark. Seriously, why do you have to grow up so quickly?


If I snuggle and hug you all day will you promise to slow down a bit?

If I kiss your toes, smooch your cheeks, and nestle you close, will you let time stand still?

If I sing to you "Jesus Loves Me" and the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" over and over again, can we just be?


You are such a treasure to us. Your big brother can't keep his hands off of you. He can't stand there being an inch of space between you two.  I might even go as far to say he is about as smitten with you as we are.


You are a strong little soul, with much heart about everything. If you are displeased, you let me know. If you are happy, you resound with giggles. If you want your mama, you make it clear.


You much prefer to be held in my arms more than anything. I often have to convince you that tummy time is truly for your best interest. When convinced, you actually do quite well. You still roll consistently from back to tummy, and have rolled from tummy to back several times...with just a tiny bit of help from me. You are good about grasping things within your reach, and try for those that are just beyond your fingers. You learned to transfer toys from one hand to the other, such a big achievement for a newly 5 month old.

You love to give kisses, big, sloppy wet kisses.

You always know where I am in the room. I love turning my head to be met by your baby blues. A smile always follows shortly after. You make my heart light.


You drool like it's going out of style. Your big brother is your drool monitor, if it drips off in streams, he runs to get a cloth to wipe your chin.  If you spit up he is quick to say "uh-oh" and stands by until I clean it all up.  He brings you toys to chew on, and then sometimes swipes them back in two-year-old fashion. But don't be confused, he adores you so.




 I'm not quite sure what has happened in the sleeping department. Once upon a time you were my champ sleeper. You gave me 7-8 hour stretches consistently. Lately, we are lucky if you give us 2.

I am tired, but thankfully your sweet face revives me and I always seem to have enough energy to make it through the day.




As trying as the nights can be, the mornings are bright.  When I peer over your bassinet I am greeted with squirmy grins and shiny eyes. You make my world wonderful. You breathe new life into the air, and give me the unconditional love that only a baby can offer. Thank you my sweet boy for being you, for bringing a piece to this family that would be lacking without you.

While I wish time still at times, I also look forward to the future. I can't wait to see who you will be and what you will bring to this world.

You are special. 

You are beyond loved and adored. 

And you have stamped your place in this world, even at only 5 months.

I love you my littlest boy, and while I can't stop time, I can soak up every minute of every day with you.

And that I will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment