Monday, December 28, 2015

Davis: 10 Months


It's a really good thing I have been planning his birthday since about the time I first met him face to face. Because....it's coming. In less than 2 months (since I'm late AGAIN on getting his monthly update written up) my baby boy will be a whole year old.

I still remember this time last year, eating my way through the holidays...anxious, yet enjoying the little life that was growing inside of me. Ready to meet him, but not ready to be done. Oh, how joyful the past 10 months have been, getting to know my sweet boy. I'm so very glad he came when he did.


This was a BIG month.

He went from, pushing my hand away, to standing on his own, to taking his first step, to taking 3 steps!!!


How is that even possible? My other two babies were 14 and 19 months before they walked! I think someone is just a tad bit anxious to keep up with the big boys.


He still loves to eat. The only thing that is a hit or miss is peas. He usually thinks they are more fun to squish that to eat.  He can put away a serious amount of food. I'm pretty sure he put away half an avocado. And is going strong with his nursing...although those teeth....ouch. ouch.ouch. To all the mama's who had a horribly painful time with breastfeeding....I'm feeling you, and I'm sorry.

Speaking of teeth, he got both his two top teeth. Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh, that was fun. Once again, long nights. But always happy boy during the day. (technically, this will go in his 11 month post...but he just popped through tooth #5 Christmas morning! Can I get a hallelujah?!?!)

We've had a few nap skipping here and there. Some days he just won't have it, and fights it until I throw in the towel. And would you guess who is happy as a clam those days? He cruises around, giving me extra big grins and laying the sweetness on thick. As if he knows that he weaseled his way out of his nap.



We also tried having his grandparents put him down for bed for the first time this month. Kyle had his work Christmas party and so we thought we would give it a go.

Davis would not have it. He usually goes to bed around 7-7:30PM, we got home around 11. I walked into a Davis sitting on his Grandpa's lap, not upset, not happy, not even making a peep....just sitting and waiting. His eyes were red-rimmed, and he was clearly tired. But he waited for me. I took him upstairs and he was out within a few seconds.

If he does get upset, which is very rare. His "tantrum" is him putting his forehead to the floor. Once he kicked his legs and cried a little...and then was done. I could get very used to those kind of tantrums. Too bad his older brothers didn't get the memo.

He says "mama" very clearly and it seems very deliberate. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.


His newest trick aside from walking is pointing. Oh. My. It has got to be the cutest! Both my other boys pointed with either their fists or all fingers. But Davis makes a perfect little "L" and points on command. You say, "Davis, point to the light" as soon as he hears "point" his thumb and pointer finger snap into position. It's fun to see what really catches his attention.


I still can't keep him off the steps and out of the bathroom. Yesterday morning, I was running around trying to get everyone dressed to get out the door. I had to run upstairs real quick to grab something. I asked Cole to watch his brother (I know, I know, terrible idea....five-year-old's are NOT made to be responsible) I ran back down, to find Cole had gotten distracted and wandered off (surprise, surprise) to the living room. And Davis.....well, I found him in the bathroom, grabbing wads of well marinated toilet paper out of the toilet. ALL OVER MY BATHROOM FLOOR. I'm guessing some made it into his mouth...but I've tried blocking that thought from my memory.

He is persistent and determined (hence, the above toilet episode) But he has a quieter way of dealing with it. If he wants something, he will exhaust all avenues until he gets it.

He loves to dance. And is drawn to toys that make sound and music.

Hates cats. Definitely likes dogs better.

He loves to turn the TV on and off. This makes his brothers really happy.....and he just stands there smirking and seemingly proud of the rise he gets out of his brothers.


He is so content. Content to be held, content to walk, content to play alone, content to be in the middle of big brother chaos, and content to just be.

Always super content to eat. Goodness....the food, the intensity, the passion, the bottomless pit for a tummy. He loves flavor, spice, sweet....all of it, any of it. Most of the fits he throws are because his plate has been licked clean (twice) and he wants more.


What a fun month it has been. Other than the teething, he just couldn't be any sweeter if he tried. I told Kyle the other day that I'm really enjoying this stage, he isn't old enough for the back talk and throw big tantrums, but young enough to still light up when I walk in the room. I still long for time to stop every now and then. But I think mostly, I'm just loving every second of every moment of  being this boy's mama.

Happy 10...er....almost 11 months (now). Love you my sweet little one.


No comments:

Post a Comment