Monday, December 21, 2015

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

Have I mentioned that I have a son named Cole who is a Christmas-a-holic. He is, sometimes i wish there was a therapy for it. But mostly, I try to live through his enthusiasm. Because he has a lot of it. Every day he asks what we are doing for Christmas. We have drawn countless Christmas trees, wrapped presents, made snowflakes, used glitter until it was banned from our house until next year....we have about 30 different advents going on...some of which I have secretly set aside for another year, because it was making me all sorts of confused and feeling neglectful. We have made Christmas cards, walked around with our Christmas stocking on our feet, found oranges and half eaten crackers at the bottom of said stockings. And some days those stocking get nicely folded and hidden away from little eyes. Because sometimes I get Christmased out.....is that such a thing?

Some days I've had enough of Rudolph, enough of frosty, enough of sugar-crazy children dumping smoothies while bouncing off the walls of my home. Sometimes when a little boy named Bennett finds a whole stash of christmas chocolates, and melts them between his hands.... and well, the rest is history.

I'm tired.

I'm joyful, yes. I'm happy and excited and love the special family times.

But I'm tired. And sometimes I get grumpy and snappy and Christmas cheer is the last thing that is on my mind.

Unfortunately getting our tree was one of those times.




I was slightly miffed that we didn't take advantage of the prior beautiful weekend and instead we had to trudge around in the wet rain and cold air. This mama does NOT like to be cold. Sadly, I think my mini personality me was feeling the same way.



I had to be sneaky because every time he saw me or the camera he would grunt and turn his head.



And this is when I was so thankful for my Christmas-cheer-pulsating-through-his-blood Cole boy.



He just trudged on through the mud and rain, smiling and laughing and asking to sing Christmas carols, wanting hot cocoa, and picking out our tree. Not much can squelch his sweet spirit. Except if you tell him he can't have a Christmas chocolate or play with his new toys at 4:45 in the morning....that never blows over well.

Buuuuut he really did a great job choosing a tree. The second we got home, he drug out all of the ornaments, and was not too happy when we told him he had to take a nap first.

So a power nap he took. And then got down to business getting our tree all decked out.




I don't think I had to even lift a finger.



 Even Davis got right in there, pulling out ornaments.


Surpringly, He hasn't really paid much attention to the tree and all the dangling ornaments since.

And Bennett, well he did his thang.


Hung about one ornament and called it good.



I have a feeling Christmases may not get any less busy, but I think they will continue to get sweeter and sweeter with time. Especially as they grow in the knowledge of what Christmas is all about. Already, they will say that Christmas isn't about the presents but about Jesus' birthday.

Cole sang in his first Christmas service, and did soooo incredibly well. He knew all the words, all of the motions. My heart about burst watching him up there.

We have already been able to celebrate with both sides of our family. The boys are getting a 3 week long Christmas celebration, and love it. Unfortunately, with all the celebrating, comes extra sweets, extra late nights, and toys that they go bonkers over. We have been trying to wrangle in the tudes and some of the toys have found there way in confiscation because of it.

Regardless, we have had such sweet times with family.





At my parent's we did out annual hockey puffs, presents and then something a little new this year.


The kiddos all acted out the story of the Nativity as my dad read it out loud. It was a hit, and all the older ones played along perfectly, while the lamb (Ellie, my niece) and the chicken (Sadie, my other niece) had other ideas. Davis played baby Jesus. I can't think of a better baby for that roll. Cole was Joseph, and loved snuggling up to his favorite, Na (Mary). And Kara was the cutest Angel there ever was.



Even Bennett cooperated. It was a Christmas miracle!



Yep, they loved it!


How I look forward to watching them play this out in many years to come...although, I have a feeling eventually the "I'm to cool" for this will come sooner than we will be ready for. How they all keep growing too quickly.

On that note, I need to remember they are only this little for so long. I need to suck up my bad attitude and embrace this season with the joy that fills my little's hearts. because nothing is as magical and pure as that.

From my Shepherd, Joseph and baby Jesus, may you find the true joy and meaning of the season. May you feel the warmth of Christ's love, and the strength of His arms.

We wish you a Merry Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment