Friday, August 5, 2011

Cleaning out the Cupboards

2 weeks from today we begin a new journey.  We are packing up our home, our little boy and moving across the border to Idaho.  We will kiss our Oregonian heritage good-bye for one year.  I'm actually in a bit of a state of shock as I am typing these words. We have been planning this for several months now....but it's hard to believe that it will be our reality in just a few short sleeps.  Don't get me wrong, I AM excited for a new adventure, and to see how God will work through us and in us during our time there.  However, I can't stop thinking about how the timing seems just a bit off.....my little sister will be getting married in September, my older sister just found out she was pregnant after 6 years of waiting (I can't bare the thought of not being able to rub that baby belly!), and our little boy will be turning 1 in October! Such big monumental changes and I will be a state away....I would be lying if I didn't admit my heart hurts a little. 

I think Cole is bummed out as well, and in protest he only took about an hour and a half to go down for his morning nap.  The morning nap is usually the easiest.....kind of scared to see what his afternoon nap will bring. In all honesty, I think he wanted to continue helping me pack......or unpack.
Yes, those are countless seasons of Gilmore Girls, don't judge. Besides, I keep them around for Kyle. Ha ha.

I love how guilty he looks, as if he knows he just made a big mess. But apparently he kind of liked it.
Love that kid. And love what I did next.

In an attempt to take my mind off of the upcoming move and to drown out the whining and complaining of my darling boy.....I decided to clear some cupboard space.

I made rice krispy treats.

Yep, I'm being a responsible and loving wife and using up ingredients so we won't have to pack them.....too bad there are only 4 ingredients involved, and they really didn't take up much space....but let's face it, this girl needed them. I needed them so badly, that I have been talking about them for the past oh....say 2-3 weeks.  And to make it even better I kicked them up a notch, I made the most heavenly treat even heavenlier.

You take your basic rice krispy ingredients...
And instead of about 4 Tablespoons of butter, increase it to one whole stick! See? We are talking about the good stuff here. 

Don't just melt it....brown it, but please don't mistake this with burning the butter, you will definitely not be singing the high notes if you do that.

Then just for good measure throw in 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt. 

Oh. My. Word.  

Have I ever said how much I LOVE a sweet and salty combo? Prepare to get your sock knocked off.  You will want to eat it straight out of the bowl. I did.
For a bite in time I was in la-la land.  Come join me, la la land is a great place to hang out. Besides, they only take about 5 extra minutes from the original and they will blow your mind.

Salted Browned Butter Rice Krispy Treats:
From Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
40 regular marshmallows
heaping 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
6 cups crispy rice cereal

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Butter will froth, then turn a nutty brown color. Watch your butter and stir frequently until browned – it will go from brown to burnt in about 5 seconds!
2. Take butter off the heat, add marshmallows and salt, then stir until smooth.
3. Stir in crispy rice cereal and mix until combined. Pour and press firmly in a non-stick sprayed 8×8 glass pan. ( I used a slightly larger pan, just because I think it's cuter than my 8x8 one.)

See how cute it is?  Mmmm, I think I need another one.  Hope you enjoy these as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment