Friday, February 17, 2012

Cheesecake as Promised

This is going to be quick mainly because I have caught what my little pumpkin had, and sleeping sounds much more appealing than writing. Let me just say this, if you need to bring a dessert to some function there is no better choice than the cheesecake. But add white chocolate to that cheesecake and suddenly people will be lining up at your doorstep begging for a bite.  Ok, so maybe not....but I can almost guarantee you will be requested to bring this cheesecake over and over again.

I'm about to get real with you. I actually do not like cheesecake very much. Gasp. It's true, I enjoy making it and serving it much more than the actual eating of it. I like to have about one single bite, and then I'm good for the year. But oddly I make cheesecakes often, mainly because there are so many varieties, people always love them, and they look like a lot more work than they really are. Actually, it seems many people are frightened by making cheesecake, and all I have to say is....make sure you have a good topping.  While cheesecakes are fairly easy to whip up, the hardest part is it keep them from cracking. Even after all my years of making cheesecakes I still get cracks. But nothing a pretty piling of berries can't handle.  Or try a whipped sour cream topping....it compliments the tartness of the cream cheese and adds a nice silky dimension. Or you can do what I did for the shower and accidentally add a whole extra cup of heave whipping cream.....it actually worked, and there was absolutely not a single crack in the whole cake. Perhaps God was being kind and knew I might crack myself if one showed up.

Whatever topping you choose, make sure you use this as your base.  I had originally planned on adding fresh raspberries to the top as requested by the mama-to-be. However, when I pulled them out of the refrigerator I realized I had a bowl full of fuzzy berries. Thankfully I had leftover strawberries and blueberries from the yogurt parfaits. Whew.

Ok, I'm done blabbing.



White Chocolate Cheesecake:
adapted from All Recipes

  • 2 cups crushed graham crackers
  • 1/2 cup butter; melted
  • 2 tbls sugar
  • 8 (1 ounce) squares white chocolate ( I use Guittards white chocolate chips)
  • 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Wrap the outside of a 10 inch springform pan with foil. Grease the inside of the pan. 
  2. Mix together graham cracker, butter, and sugar and press evenly on the bottom of springform pan. place in oven for about 10 min. to set.
  3. Place the cream cheese, sugar, and flour in a mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape bowl.
  4. Melt 4 ounces of the white chocolate. With an electric mixer on low speed, mix melted white chocolate into cream cheese mixture. Keeping electric mixer on low, slowly beat in the vanilla and 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Blend well. Pour mixture into the prepared springform pan.
  5. Place cheesecake pan in a water bath filled with warm water.(I actually have better luck pouring boiling water in a pan and placing on the rack below the cheesecake). Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes (I always have to bake mine longer, but it depends on you oven), or until center of the cheesecake is just firm. Cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Refrigerate until set before removing from pan.

1 comment:

  1. I use this same white chocolate cheesecake recipe! Yours looks picture perfect :) I hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete