Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Blue Box Redo

I know it's been awhile since I have posted anything about food, mainly because there were too many other important and hard things that deserved to be blogged about more. But as I try to get back into the swing of being a stay-at-home mom with two little ones I hope to start posting recipes that help me make it sanely to the table on time. I actually have several recipes that I have been dying to share...but this first one trumps the others because it is what every household needs to know about. Especially all you moms out there!

Nothing says kid friendly like a big plate of mac n' cheese....ok, let's be honest, it's hardly for the kids as it is to  the adults. It's quick, easy, cheap....and tastes oh so good.  However, that pretty little blue box packs a punch when it comes to preservatives, sodium, and all around lack of nutrients. Don't get me wrong, I still love the stuff, have fed it to Cole, and may have even kept a good stash of the microwaveable ones during my early preggo craving days with Bennett. But as with most of the food I feed my family I try my hardest to stay away from processed food as much as possible...key word, try. That is why my jaw dropped when I first spotted this recipe on Pinterest about making homemade, creamy, mac n' cheese in one pot, on the stove, in a matter of minutes. It sounded too good to be true.

Oh boy, it wasn't. It was actually very good and very true.

Photo Source: Martha Stewart

I  used mini shells that had added fiber...you know, to up the "healthy" status. The great thing about this recipe it you can totally use nonfat milk...or really go for it with the whole. I used 1%, added about a teaspoon of real butter, used a mixture of cheddar and Monterrey jack, threw in a little onion powder for kicks and it was delightful! The best part, Cole scarfed it up, and proclaimed with a great big "Mmmm" after his first bite...a keeper if you ask me.

So next time you are craving that cheesy, comfort bowl of noodles, rather than reach for the box, pull out your milk instead and stir, stir, stir away to creamy awesomeness. (By the way, the needing to constantly stir this was the only downfall of the recipe, but I suppose you can't have everything...also, this was the perfect amount for 2 adults and one 2 year old, you might want to double if making for more people than that).

So please follow this link to make your own incredible no box mac n cheese!!! 

Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese 

They also include some great tips so that you can easily obtain the cheesy goodness on your own stove top. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did and that you too can happily say, "Mmmmm!" after your first bite. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment