Sunday, November 4, 2012

sugar coma


This was the first year I actually dressed Cole up and took him trick or treating. He was pretty adorable in his monkey costume courtesy of my niece. I, on the other hand almost forgot that I needed to bring a pail of some sort for him to collect his candy....I know, rookie mistake. Luckily I had a huge pumpkin bucket that my parents had brought some squash in.  And after collecting his first piece of candy, that bucket was dragging on the ground behind him as if it were completely full and weighing a ton. Poor kid had no chance!

Sorry my little monkey, mama will do better next year.

I think it is safe to say that Cole has since forgiven me of the bucket, but not sure if he has forgive me for confiscating his candy. Cole has never had candy (at least that I know of)...but apparently kids have an innate love of candy whether they know it or not. It took him all of two seconds upon returning home to plunk down next to his big ole bucket and start stuffing his cheeks. Minor issue: he failed to realize his candy needed to be unwrapped prior to inserting into his mouth. I quickly pried my fingers into his mouth, to which Cole chomped down on tightly to save his candy, which led to me yelping in pain. After several attempts I was able to pull out soggy, half-wrapped-half-eaten Reese's (at least he knows how to pick the cream of the crop). A tearful and fully defeated little monkey stood there looking at me and the bucket of candy I had ripped from his hands and his heart.....

Staring at Geoffrey the Giraffe, I had to drag him away!

So I distracted him with his new train set and hid the candy when he wasn't paying attention.  I feel a little bad, but would feel worse if he ended up with a wad of candy wrappings in the pit of his belly. Apparently Bennett was feeling his brother's pain.....

I hate to admit this, but I bet I am not the only one.....I have secretly been enjoying my son's stash of Halloween candy. I keep justifying my actions by telling myself giving him candy would only make him wild and crazy, and all of his teeth would fall out. I suppose all of my teeth will fall out instead....

So for those of you, like myself, have found yourself slowly coming out of a sugar coma....don't you fret, I have something to help slip you right back into that coma-like-heaven state. Chocolate and Caramel Pretzel Rods !
I have actually had quite a few inquiries about how to make them since I wrote about them for Cole's birthday party. So I thought there is no better time to share it with you than when you are already covered head to toe in mars bars and tootsie rolls. Plus, you can stash this idea away and make them for all of those upcoming holiday parties that are inevitable this time of year. They are a quick and easy treat if  you make sure to grease your wax paper!!! Otherwise you will hate pretzels and rods after making these.


Chocolate and Caramel Pretzel Rods

INGREDIENTS

1 bag of Pretzel rods (40)
1 bag of wrapped caramels
2 Tbls water
2-3 bags of milk chocolate melts or 1-2 bags of chocolate chips
cooking spray
wax paper

DIRECTIONS

Lay out wax paper on cookie sheets, cover with cooking spray or butter.  Melt caramels with water over low heat until smooth. Spoon caramel half way up the pretzel, allow excess to drip off and place on prepared wax paper, allow to cool completely (you can place in refrigerator to speed up the process). In the meantime, melt the chocolate melts according to package or melt chocolate chips over double broiler (or microwave) until melted and smooth. If using chocolate chips add a little canola or vegetable oil until you achieve a smooth and easy to pour consistency ( I think I added a couple teaspoons). You can either spoon the chocolate over the caramel coating or you can pour it into a tall slender glass and just dip the rod. Allow excess chocolate to drip off and place back in the wax paper. Allow to cool completely before removing.

Enjoy!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment