Thursday, January 3, 2013

An unlikely combo

Some things just don't mix well together. I should have learned this by now, but my spices and my son are one of those things. While "helping" me make dinner the other night I turned my head for two seconds-- 

TWO SECONDS, as in 1,2.

When I glanced over my shoulder I saw an upside down spice jar, a lid on the floor, and a pile of cumin being smeared and played in by chubby little fingers. I have had to buy a whole lot more replacement spices lately. Hmmm....

If it wasn't for the delighted, spicy mug that smiled back at me I might have been a little more upset. A new bottle of cumin was worth it.

But this, this my friends is an unlikely combo that oh heavenly bite, works. At first thought, blueberries, turkey, curry paste and rosemary don't mix. But in the words of my hubby, "tastes fancy". 

Fancy that.

Photo credit: Peanut Butter Fingers

This dish blew out all expectations, it gives you the satisfying sweat + savory combo. And I agree with Peanut Butter Finger's that the blueberry sauce in itself is beautiful and could host an array of yummy possibilities.

This dish took us out of the boring rut and made a Wednesday feel like a holiday. I served the meatballs over a bed of basmati rice, and next time I will double the sauce. 

(special note: I only added 1/2 the red curry paste to the meatballs because I wanted Cole to enjoy it, and it tasted just fine. And for the sauce i added more chicken stock, less wine, and used frozen blueberries.)

I think I need to ask Ikea to step aside, your gravy laden meatballs ain't got nothing on these babies!

Head Here to make your own Thai Turkey Meatballs with Savory Blueberry Sauce. And make any weeknight dinner extra fancy in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment