Monday, March 18, 2013

We all come running

When my dad says he's making pancakes, we all come running as fast as we can. Even now that we are all grown, all married, and all live in our own homes. It's my parents' secret weapon to get all of their kids, grandkids, and Grandma's gathered together around their table once again. We LOVE my dad's pancakes. There have been so many good memories shared while stuffing our faces with those syrup-laden flap jacks.

While I cannot compete with his tried and true pancakes. I have, however, found a good runner up.


Three words, Cinnamon. Roll. Pancakes.

I was sold at cinnamon roll. Cole was sold at pancakes. And demolished 4 pancakes in less time than it takes to say pancake. He would have eaten more, but I decided to spare him a belly ache and cut him off.

He definitely takes after my side of the family.

To make these super fast to make in the morning (and good thing, because we were up all night long with our littlest man!) I premixed all of the dry ingredients the night before, and they came together in a snap. They truly taste like cinnamon rolls, especially when smeared with leftover Cinnabon frosting. The syrup is fabulous as is, but I'm thinking next time (since we most likely won't have leftover frosting) I will go ahead and melt some cream cheese into the mixture...it just adds the perfect tang. Heck, I might just make up my usual cinnamon roll frosting and smother them in it. Really, you can't can't go wrong whether you choose frosting or no frosting. The pancakes themselves are winners.

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes-
source: Baked Bree

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour ( I used whole wheat flour...you know, so they are healthy).
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup melted butter
1 Tablespoon vanilla

Directions:

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in separate bowl until combined. Then pour wet ingredients in with the dry and whisk until just combined. Preheat griddle over medium heat and cook until brown on both sides. But don't forget the syrup!

Frosting Syrup-

1 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons milk

Whisk the ingredients together until smooth and a pouring consistency.  If too thick add more milk, if too thin, add more sugar.

Then stuff our face silly. 

Cole did, and we ended up with a little boy like this....guaranteed happiness!


 "YAH!"

No comments:

Post a Comment