Monday, June 17, 2013

Special Dad calls for special salad

Father's Day snuck up on me this year. Mainly because we have been consumed with getting this house thing wrapped up. But that didn't stop us from taking a sweet moment to recognize some wonderful dads in our lives.



I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for each of these men. My sons are so lucky to have 3 amazing role models to look up to. I pray that they can glean from these men so that they too can live a life that is full, that is honorable, and that puts Christ first in every circumstance.

In an effort to celebrate, we packed.

Took apart our dining room table.

And watched Cole use the broken down table to dance on.

We realized pretty quickly that packing with a toddler under hand and a baby needing attention seems to move things in a negative direction. So we called it a day. And stuffed our bellies instead.

Thankfully I had planned ahead a little...and by a little, I mean, I was running to the store the day before to pick up remaining ingredients.

We grilled up steak, and served it alongside this....


Holy cow.

I love me some fruit and greens salad, but this, this blew it out of the park! I grew so tired of the typical cranberry/pear/candied pecan salad or something along those lines. And to be honest, I almost succumbed to the urge to stay with what I knew. But I wanted something fresh, seasonal, and different to go alongside the savory grilled steak. And this hit every point to a 'T'.

I first layed eyes on this beauty while reading Lauren's Latest.

And then adapted it to my own liking. As it turns out I prefer it with no bacon, but the hubby likes it with.....so know that it is amazing either way.

Strawberry Salad with Poppyseed Dressing

For the Dressing:
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup white vinegar ( I used apple cider vinegar because I didn't have any white)
4 tablespoons sugar
salt & pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon poppyseeds

For the Salad:
Any greens of your choosing, I used an organic baby spring mix...but spinach would be great!
2 cups sliced strawberries
4 slices of bacon
1/2 cup (more or less depending on your preference) of feta cheese--goat cheese would be really tasty too, I just didn't have any on hand.
1 avocado, sliced.
1/4 cup chopped almonds, I didn't add these because I forgot but they would add nice texture.

Directions:
Throw all of the salad ingredient together (I precooked the bacon, made it really crispy, and then crumbled it).

To make the dressing, simply add all ingredients together in a large bowl and whisk until mixed thoroughly. Drizzle over salad and serve immediately.

***this makes a lot of dressing and it is soooooo good! I am keeping a jar of it in my refrigerator to remind me to eat more salad. Hopefully it will work...this girl needs more greens! 

I hope you enjoy it, it will make any day feel special when served along side some kind of protein. You could even make it a main dish by adding grilled chicken to it...hmmmm...I may have just figured out dinner for tonight. :)

The best part is that I got to send my hubby to work with a steak and salad lunch. He deserved it, he works so hard for our family so that I can stay home with our boys. Something I am incredibly thankful and grateful for.

Thanks for being the best dadda honey! Even Cole got in on the Father's Day action, he was so proud of the card he made, and worked especially hard making "dot, dot, dots".

We love you honey!


No comments:

Post a Comment