Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Turning a Sleepy Corner

Once upon a time our sweet little Davis was a stellar sleeper. And just as things seem to go with us and our babies and their sleep. It started its downward plummet into endless nights of wakings, crying, and middle of the night parties that never seemed to end.

And I was all, "Please No, I'll give anything, do anything...No, No, No!"

And then I learned how to make the most perfectly amazing iced coffee. Because let's be honest, when all else fails and the sleeping goes to pot...at least there is coffee, and lots of it. Yeah?

(Follow this RECIPE to make the best cold brewed coffee. Wanna take it up one more notch, make THIS homemade vanilla syrup. Mmmmm-mmmm. I'm addicted)


However, despite the nightly disruptions his demeanor stayed just as sweet, just as easy going and just his incredibly loveable, squishy self.

And just like the good little boy that he is, he seems to have heard the pleading terror in my voice (Thanks to Bennett, I began envisioning the up every 45 minutes to eat for the rest of his life....) but leave it to Davis to recover hope during the night time hours. To allow my heart to rest it's worrisome ways.


I read (yes, third child and I still feel the need to pour over sleep help sites...you would think we would have it figured out by now....)  I read that with the 4 month regression it's important to start helping them fall asleep on their own. (not to be mistaken with cry it out)

So I began putting him down for his naps awake. Would you believe that he basically just rolled over and fell right to sleep? Seriously, just like that... and he earned back his dream baby status.

Either he is about as easy going as they come or is one big overachiever. 


Last night, he still woke up about 3 times but there were a few times he started scruffing around and wining a bit, then suddenly he was out like a light. I carefully peeked over at him, and he had his thumb dangling from his mouth.

Awe. I'm in love with that thumb.

And maybe those toes.... (he has the most photographed feet, I just can't get enough of them....and he just might think that "this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home" is the funniest ever!)


I watched him put himself to sleep again with that thumb tonight. I just stood there gawking at the cuteness. Him, sucking that thumb like his life depended on it. So precious.


Perhaps I am talking too soon, as I usually do. However, I feel like the past couple nights we have made progress in the right direction. I hope so at least. Because let's face it, sleep makes everything better. Especially when dealing with two other toddlers day in and day out. And Bennett, who is still really loving his freedom that his big boys bed gives him....and cocoa....he got into it, AGAIN. He also found some scissors, snuck off with them and cut some lovely holes all the way up both pant legs. He's quick and sneaky.....not an ideal combo. I've actually LOST sleep worrying about him and his mischievous ways.


Sleep or no sleep. Cocoa in my mug or on Bennett's mug....one thing will always ring true. I love them. So so so much. And daily I'm reminded why God gave them to me.

I remember shortly before Davis was born having a freak out moment about all the neediness, all of the responsibility, all of the work it would take to throw a newborn into the mix. I doubted whether I could do it, that I would get too weary. That all the tedious newborn tasks would eat away at the existing dynamics that were already formed.


All I can say is, God knew. He knew how much we needed another baby. He knew that I needed him for this season in life. I needed his late night snuggles, his morning feedings, his giggles, his rolls, his slobbery kisses, and his patient little ways. I needed him to help calm me through some of the storms that comes with toddlers.


Because for some reason when my blood starts to boil for a whole host of reasons, one glance at him, and his smile softens whatever blow I may be encountering.

God gave us the most perfect baby to fit right into our family. To balance the crazy out. To bring a softness to the edges that needed a bit more refining.


And he's sleeping...well, better than he was at least. So for that reason a lone I'm going to toast and go make some cold brew for my wake up call. He may not be sleeping through the night like he was...but shoot, somebody needs to keep up with them rolls. :)


Thanks little buddy for being so good. For figuring out that thumb of yours, please keep using it. For now at least.

We will address it again, if you are still using it in 5 years.....

No comments:

Post a Comment