Thursday, May 30, 2013

It's been awhile

I can't even remember the last time I posted a recipe. So to make up for it, I have two for you today. We will start with breakfast, since that is the most important meal of the day anyways

This has got to be my new go-to breakfast recipe, it has made its appearance at least once a week since I discovered it about a month ago. My hubby says he still likes it, but I should probably switch it up so I don't ruin a good thing.

But here's the thing, it's sooooo easy! literally I toss the few ingredients in a bowl, whip it by hand for a minute or two and toss it in the oven. Then I let it bake while the rest of the house is waking up.

Cole can nearly eat half a pan just himself.

I usually have to cut him off. (Look how sad he looks, as if I'm going to take his plate from him....)


It's called a Finnish Pancake or a "map cake" as Cole likes to call it.

You can find the recipe here. I make it exactly as written, except I do add about a tsp. of vanilla  and sometimes I bake it a bit longer than called for. It is a cross between a crepe, dutch pancake, and souffle. We have served it with maple syrup, real berry preserves, and powdered sugar. If we have left overs they work great reheated the next day...Cole usually has dibs on them first.They help bring a little sunshine to a rainy morning, like today. Although, just saw the forecast for next week, and I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I was to see sunshine on the seven-day. I don't even care if it is warm, I just need to see something other than gloom day rain.

As soon as the weather starts warming up, we start firing up our grill. Over the past couple years I have been on a search for a good turkey burger recipe. We just don't eat a lot of red meat around here, and unfortunately a lot of turkey burgers end up dry and flavorless.

Now let's take a pause break.

These turkey burgers were actually prepared and all ready to go for the holiday weekend....a week early. Apparently when you are sleep deprived you can't keep track of your Mondays from your Tuesdays....or in my case, your normal Monday from your holiday Monday. Embarrassing, I know. Perhaps I should take that as a queue to purchase myself a giant calendar and plaster it on the kitchen wall.  However, the mishap took a turn in my favor because it truly made our holiday relaxing as I didn't have to do any preparations for a yummy meal. Also, I found that by freezing the burgers they didn't fall apart on the grill, and they still taste just as good.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised after my first bite of this turkey burger--I was sold. It was full of flavor, it didn't fall apart, and it stayed moist (and there wasn't even added breading--so it's perfect for all who need gluten-free patties). Even my meat-picky-eatin-eater ate it right up. I don't know why it is so hard to get Cole to eat meat, it always takes me by surprise when he willingly will eat a meat dish I put in front of him.

I found the recipe here on Annie's Eats. If you haven't visited her blog, you really should. I don't think I have ever tried a recipe that didn't turn out great! The only change I made to this recipe was I added a good two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, used only fresh sage and parsley and dried herbs for the others...and the flavor was still wonderful!

So there you go, two easy peasy recipes so that you can enjoy the sun and enjoy your weekend! (And yes, I am fully aware that tomorrow is Friday and not Saturday...even though all morning I was thinking it was Friday......)

And let's just end with that shall we? Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment