Thursday, March 6, 2014

Rosemary White Bean Soup


I'm really trying to get back in the habit of sharing recipes that work for my family. But the truth is, I have been pretty discouraged about cooking. My oldest has decided that he would rather snub his nose and throw a fit rather than eat the food I cook for him. It's especially frustrating because I specifically try to go out of my way to make meals that are fresh, healthy, and chock full of different veggies and all things good. So when you get plates of food shoved away night after night it becomes quite tempting to just slap together PB&J and call it good. And sometimes I do. But that is hardly worthy of posting, I'm assuming we all know how to make one of those.

Finally after many battles, I made something that was received with a happy face and a happy tummy. And truth be told, this is about as easy as slapping together a sandwich.


And it is perfect for cold, rainy and windy days like today. Also great with thick, crusty bread for dipping....but I have yet to meet a soup that isn't.


I didn't follow a specific recipe, just kind of threw some things together. Here is what I did.

Rosemary White Bean Soup

1 lb of dried white beans (soaked overnight and boiled for 1-2 hours until soft)
2 Tbls olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp-1 Tbls dried rosemary (you can use one stem of fresh if you have it) also add more or less depending on how much you like rosemary...I tend to love it, so I add more.
2 quarts chicken stock
2 tsp kosher or sea salt
pepper to taste

Directions:

Add olive oil to large dutch oven. Add onion, carrots and celery to dutch oven, cook until soft 7-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until soft. Add Rosemary, chicken stock, beans(make sure you have already boiled them until they are soft prior to adding), salt and pepper.Cook until heated thoroughly, and veggies are cooked to your liking. I love sprinkling Parmesan cheese over the top, you could even add some cream at the end if you want a creamier base. I almost used my immersion blender to blend part of the soup for a creamier consistency, but chose not to so that it would be easier for both boys to eat.

Seriously though, you can tailor this soup to your liking and taste. Chicken would be great, and next time I might even add some spinach for additional nutrients. But really, nothing beats a nice, hot bowl of soup to chase the wind chills away.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment