Saturday, March 1, 2014

For your Sunday Morning


I started making baked oatmeal years ago after being served the best at an annual high school church retreat. I just remember how much I wanted to go back and get seconds...maybe even thirds after I took my first bite. Later on, I was determined to find a recipe that I loved just as much. I tried many, many were okay, some just so-so, and then I found this.


Not quite what we had on that blistery, ocean side retreat. But seriously worth making and eating on any given morning. And to top it off, both boys devour it.

Thank you Annie's Eats for helping me fall in love with baked oatmeal all over again. I make it almost exactly as written, except I have yet to try it with bananas. Also, sometimes I substitute brown sugar for the maple syrup and the results are just as yummy.

So here you go, perfect for a hot weekend meal to energize you for the day.

Baked Oatmeal With Fruit
 Source: Annie's Eats

Ingredients:

1 c old fashioned oats
1/4 c walnuts or pecans (I only add when I have on hand)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 c maple syrup or brown sugar
1 c milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbls melted butter, slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 bananas, peeled and sliced.
1c blueberries, divided ( I have used frozen and add tart cherries if I have them)

Directions:

preheat oven 350. Grease 2 qt baking dish. In bowl combined oats through salt. In another bowl combine maple syrup through vanilla, mix thoroughly. Mix with dry ingredients. If using bananas, layer them on the bottom of baking dish. Pour half of berries over bananas. Top with oat mixture and top with remaining berries.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, until top is slightly browned. Cool about 10 minutes (or not).

No comments:

Post a Comment