Monday, October 14, 2013

Flannel and pumpkins

It's no secret, I LOVE the summer. And quite often dread the dark and dreary winter months. But there is a special moment sandwiched right between the two, it tends to be a little fleeting but it is beautifully needed.

It's name is fall.

It's that time when the leaves start changing, the air becomes crisp and pumpkin spice latte's start popping up at every coffee joint. The time of year when Christmas lists are being made ( or finished up according to some), football games are in full swing,  Nana and Papa's pumpkin patch, and my little boy stares out the window getting upset that leaves are falling to the ground.

It's also the time of year you can get away with eating pumpkin for breakfast, lunch and dinner and no one gives it a second thought.

I dream about this time of year. Because I, for one, can't ever get enough of pumpkin anything.


Especially cute little boys posing next to ones.

And even more so when they are decked out in flannels and vests.

Then their daddy zips up their vest and they look like they might fall over if they move an inch. Oh man, I want to reach into that picture and just squeeze him!


Don't worry, I helped the kid out and unzipped him a bit, giving him a little breathing room.


Then there is the boy on a mission to drive the tractor instead of playing in the pumpkin patch. This boy should have been raised on a farm. I'm not even kidding.

Have I ever mentioned that his word for "another" is "anubber" ? It has absolutely nothing to so with this post, but it makes me smile every time I hear it. As did watching him work over that tractor.

Fall.

I love it. I really do. And having this baking in my oven on a crisp, bright morning makes me fall in love even more. 

I believe I have shared this recipe  before, but it deserves a second chance and a reminder if you haven't given it a whirl yet. The best part, Cole begs to help me cook, and this is so kid friendly....errrr, taster friendly (if you know what I mean).

I often hear "anubber one" from his lips whenever we make this together.


Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal
(Source: Good Life Eats)
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats, not quick cook
  • 1 Tbs whole flax seeds, optional ( I use flax meal)
  • 2 1/2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest, optional
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 cup milk
Topping:
  • 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
  • 2 tsp butter, softened
  • 1 Tbs brown sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 4 individual sized ramekins. Set aside.

Combine the oats through salt in a medium sized bowl. Stir well. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, butter, pumpkin, and milk. Whisk thoroughly. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oats. Stir until combined.

Divide mixture evenly between 4 individual sized ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to move in and out of the oven.). Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar. After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and divide topping mixture evenly between the ramekins. Bake and additional 7 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

I have also made this ahead and reheated in the microwave and it is just as good...makes for an easy midweek breakfast ( we had it for dinner one night when I was at a loss of what to make!)

* Sometimes I even sub out the butter for coconut oil, and it tastes just as delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment